Post by Denny on May 17, 2016 12:14:15 GMT -5
The Main Laws of the Land
Above all else, please be respectful. I understand that characters will have enemies, indeed, Denethor has many, and that is not the issue. Disrespect, bullying, and angry debates will stay in-character only.
The site rating is PG 13, per proboards guidelines. On the *official* RPG Rating Scale that is 2-1-2.
In specific this means:
- Limited cursing is allowed on in-character areas. Keep in mind there are plenty of ways for your characters to curse without resorting to modern vulgarities. Stay away from modern slang... keep it Tolkienish! Here is a fun article on Profanities in Middle Earth.
- Romance and Violence are permitted but must not be graphically described.
- Avatars, signatures, and any other graphics you post must also follow these guidelines.
- If you really must go the extra mile in your narration, please take it off the board, and make sure you are not taking it off the board with a minor aged RPer.
.Rule Three. All writing abilities welcome. There is no word count. Write what you and your partner are comfortable writing.
.Rule Four. Both Original Characters and Canon are wonderful. Consult the Canon List and Original Characters page when you are ready to create your character. Make sure you fill out your application fully and post it in the drop-off area of the board. Once you are approved, you can begin to roleplay. You can add [WIP] (work in progress) to the title if you want to save your post but aren't finished. Please do not begin roleplaying until your application is approved. Generally apps are apps are approved within the day.
.Rule Five. No OOC account is required. One character per account. No character limit for original characters. You may use as many NPCs as you like but if they begin to become the 'main character' and develop their own stories, go ahead and make a new account for them! Try to spread out your canon characters so you are not writing them all in one location with one small group, there are plenty to go around. Canon characters who are not claimed or become inactive may be played by anyone as a NPC.
.Rule Six. This page is based on the lore of J.R.R. Tolkien's books and Peter Jackson's films, with some 'filling in the blanks' especially when it comes to lesser defined characters/locations. The book and film plots are considered site "canon" so please keep this in mind as far as plots and timelines go but feel free to discuss ideas that may or may not 100% fit lore, we have room for conjecture here! Please reference The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and other Tolkien works (or at least throw a google search out there or check on Tolkien Gateway) to determine if the character you have in mind is in line with Tolkien Lore.
Read the Men of the West Site Plot Page for more information.
Following these will ensure a good time for all! Feel free to ask any questions you have.
Thank you, and welcome to Men of the West!
Additional Helps for Getting Started once your Character Application is approved.
General Roleplaying Etiquette for our Site
- Communicate with your partner! Some people like to plot out thread details. Other people like to wing it as they go. Some people like to write long, elaborate posts. Some people like to write quick rapid-fire successions. For some people, it just depends on the day and theme. The best thing to do when threading with a new person is to simply send them a quick message to discuss a few details of the sort so that both people can have the most fun possible. If you are having a writing is with someone please go directly to them with the issue, PM or Discord DM, and then seek admin if additional help is needed.
- No god-modding, powerplaying, killing, etc, unless you've discussed between you and your partner that it is acceptable to move their characters in that instance. (Example 1. My character has fainted so when I am plotting with my partner we decide that her character is free to move his slack body around.) (Example 2. To move the plot along more quickly my buddy and I decide to just have one of us do a summary write up that the both the characters packed up camp and got on their horses and rode to a new location.
- When you start a new RP thread, please add into the title either [Open] (if you are open to any other characters jumping in), [Character Name] (if you are awaiting a particular character to join you), or [One-Shot] (if you are merely making a thread to post with yourself and advance your character plot). It is also helpful if you are wanting to plot out a thread in year different than the main plot setting that you write.
- If you are planning on leaving or being away for a time, please post a message on the Away Board or on the Away channel on Discord, so you don't leave your current threading buddies hanging! Taking a break is absolutely no problem. Everyone is at different stages in life, and the writing muse comes and goes. Please be sensitive that your RP buddies may have offline commitments or trauma to deal with that keeps them away from the roleplaying world. There are no activity checks for original characters. If you walk away for a month or a year, your accounts will still be here when you come back, we're more than happy to have returners, just ask an admin if your apps have been moved to the archived area and they can be brought back out again. Please note that if you walk away from a canon character, however, that character may be replaced by another player after 1 month of absence. Your old account/posts/apps will still be here if you want to find them again later! Writer's hard work is never deleted!Home BoardsIf you would like a "Home" forum for your characters who live in Edoras, Minas Tirith, or Dol Amroth, you may request such a place from the admin once you have reached 20 IC posts for that character.. Due to the communal nature of the elven realms, we'll just leave these special boards for the main cities of men for the time being.